Sunday, September 04, 2005

Just Another Day At The North Pole

5 Hours and 30 minutes into my flight to Beijing and we are directly over the North Pole. There are giant slabs of white broken up by metallic blue cracks uncovering the ocean below, like a cluster of frosty white Molokai-sized islands of ice. I was kind of hoping to see some polar bears or marching penguins but apparently I’m on the wrong side of the earth for that. Just miles and miles of frozen H20, slowly melting under the sun’s glare.

Oh! I think we just flew through a hole in the ozone layer! By God! I’m starting to glow! (is that bad?)

Continental Boeing 777 Business Class is pretty pimp although I don’t understand the purpose of stuffing us full of so much food. So far I’ve endured a 6 course lunch followed by a 2 course “snack” and am currently awaiting the 3 course pre-arrival “light meal.” It’s like a human Foi Gras farm – but with cushy seats. Either they’re preparing us for the Soylent Green factories in China or their studies show that fat, rich Americans full of food are less likely to torment the flight attendants.

Speaking of fat, rich Americans, I’m actually quite surprised to see so many people fit this unfortunate profile up here in Business Class. I was expecting to be surrounded by young Asian and American businessmen and women frantically hacking away on their notebooks, but apparently they’re all at a convention in Sydney.

Going to take a break and watch Layer Cake on my notebook… 7 hours left until we arrive.

CLICK HERE FOR PLANE & BEIJING ARRIVAL PICTURES

No comments:

Post a Comment